Saturday, January 22, 2011

On the Fence

So, here we come on Sunday again. I received an email from my Bishop saying that he wants to meet with me. I wonder what this will lead to. I have been putting off, or taking my time rather, making decisions about my beliefs. I seem to know what I don’t believe in, but not a lot about what I do. In the end, I have to realize that I have a family that believes one way even though I am leaning towards another. I tried to make this work before. I tried to reconcile myself to the fact that I would be willing to believe, or try to believe in a faith system to make it easier at home. It didn’t work. Boy, it is tempting to try again though. The Church was my social life. I have no friends outside of it. Not only that, but my friends would react differently to me if they knew my reluctance and changing feelings. I don’t think they would have a problem with being friends with a “non member” or “less active member”, but I think it has something to do with my change of status that they won’t know how to deal with.
Back to this email. I’m not sure what to say. I could just be honest, but really, I’m not sure what the honest answer is. I’m not ready for this meeting. I am not ready to make any hard and fast decisions yet. I want to sit on the fence for just a little bit longer.

1 comment:

  1. My experience was that when you wanted to go away from the Church, you got called in and given another position. Happened to me. I was not really attending church a whole lot around 16 or 17, and the bishop called me in. I was currently one of his "assistants," or whatever the priests are called to be. I though I was going to be released, but he just insisted that I come to church more. Wasn't long before I stopped going permanently, but I thought that it was strange that they thought the best way to keep me there was to entrust me with greater "responsibility."

    Was this meeting called because he thinks you are beginning to question things? Or for other reasons?

    ReplyDelete